Sunday, March 28, 2010

A nomadic kind of life

The real estate agent called this morning to say that we have a showing scheduled between 3 - 4 PM today. Ok! Although my house is usually very tidy and clean, I still get into a frenzy. Even though I already vacuumed this morning (every morning in fact--it's an obsession), pull out the vacuum again (I want to see those nice even lines on the carpet). Wipe down the counters! Sweep! Mop! Primp, primp, primp! Turn on all the lights for the showing! Make sure everything is perfectly coifed and staged! Let's sell this house!

The downside is that we become homeless for that one hour while our home is being gawked at, probed, criticized and violated by strangers who stomp in (and who probably don't wipe their feet) and tour the house, to see if our home could become their home. During these one hour tours, I pack up the kids and we lead a sixty-minute-at-a-time nomadic life. We may browse aimlessly through Borders or Blockbuster or even pick up a few groceries at Whole Foods. Sometimes I just drive around with no destination in mind. Other times, I'll take them to lunch at Maggiano's (they have great calamari) or I'll bring them to Oberweis to grab some ice cream.

Today, I feel tired of going through all these motions. Sure, I'll still tidy up and make sure everything is in its place but I just don't feel like it. I don't feel like driving somewhere. I don't feel like letting strangers in. I want to have a quiet Sunday, playing board games with the kids or reading or watching a movie with them. I want to close all the curtains and hole up, cuddle up and rock myself to sleep. I know, I know...just allow me a few seconds of self-pity and introversion.

Now snap out of it! Get back to cleaning! Move, move, move!

I think I'll take the kids to Oberweis today. That's one of their favorite places. They need a treat and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment