Sunday, May 9, 2010

To all the mothers out there


After just finishing a novel, I like to take some time thinking about it and how it made me feel or how I felt about the characters or the story itself. I just put a book down about thirty minutes ago. It had a happy ending and it made me shed some tears (ok, maybe buckets). Which is a good thing. I like a good cry sometimes. I like crying about fictional lives of fictional characters. I like crying and cheering for these protagonists who go through a gambit of emotions while I live vicariously and concurrently through them. But then again, who doesn't love to read and immerse themselves in another life/world for a little while? I am not unique in this in any way. I am not so special in this regard.

I am feeling quite introspective at the moment as I sit here on the twentieth floor of our high rise,  leisurely gazing at fluffy white clouds traversing freely across the vibrant blue sky on this Sunday, on Mother's Day. I think about how mothers are special. How mothers are so loved and held on high, on a pedestal for most. And how mothers are unique. We are a separate species of women regardless of culture, language and dress who have a singular and universal commonality in Motherhood.

So, I am in fact unique and special in this regard.

I am a mother. Life begins with us. We are the nurturers, the caregivers, the doting ones, the extra-hugs and kisses givers, the soft and nice smelling sort, the kind-hearted gentle souls who do it all, remarkably, no matter the aching-sick-with-flu-that-just-can't-get-up-but-must-body or sleep-deprived-I-am-dragging-today-body or I-need-just-a-few-minutes-break-body or shut-the-bathroom-door-I-need-privacy-shriek-body or let-me-add-one-more-item-on-my-long-long-to-do-list-body. We take it on and we do what we must and we do it all.

So, today, is my day and yours (to all the mothers out there). We are Unique. We are Special. We take it on and DO IT ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment