Saturday, July 10, 2010

This bird can sing


It was quite an evening.  Sure, historically speaking, it had been 44 years since Paul McCartney last performed in San Francisco, and that was way back in 1966 when he played with his little band, the Beatles.  But tonight was magical because while Paul and his band played on, the other 39,999 fans and I forgot about the cold misty drizzly night to embark on a journey of tunes that spanned five decades of rock history.  Three hours of musical enchantment ensued.  And I loved every minute...well, except for the filler stuff from his Wings period, but I will forgive him all the same because I can honestly say I even enjoyed those songs.

Here tonight with Dave and his parents (Dan is the epitome of a true Beatle/Paul fan), sitting center stage and only seven rows back, we experienced together an once-in-a-lifetime moment where parent and child rocked together at a concert by a Beatle!  Let me say it again...Beatle!  Oh my, I was giddy as a school girl because I used to have a crush on Paul and John way back in the late 1970s when I first learned to love and listen to music.  My first favorite songs (which happen to be by the Beatles) were "She Loves You" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand."  And now, my life has come full circle sitting in these amazing seats a few yards away from the rock demigod himself.  Don't get me wrong.  I love John Lennon too.  And George Harrison.  And even Ringo (maybe a little less).  But without each one of them, they wouldn't have been the best rock band in the universe. 

Paul is the consummate performer.  This guy has a true gift of making a sea of thousands feel like he is singing to YOU and your few close friends.  He knew when to rock the crowd into a frenzied pace like the pyrotechnics display that ignited "Live and Let Die" or  just the moment to bring us back down like the acoustic "Blackbird" that took my breath away.  I even cried when he sang his tribute song "Here Today" in honor of John Lennon and "Something" for George Harrision.  The next moment, I was jumping out of my seat gleefully singing along to some of my all time favorites "I'm Looking Through You," "Hey Jude," and so many more.  I cannot fully express how overjoyed and fortunate I am to see this amazing performance in my lifetime. This concert may just have ruined me for future concert adventures.

Paul sang these songs tonight:
Setlist:
1. Venus and Mars/Rock Show
2. Jet
3. All My Loving
4. Letting Go
5. Got To Get You Into My Life
6. Highway
7. Let Me Roll It/Foxy Lady Jam
8. The Long and Winding Road
9. Nineteen-Hundred and Eighty Five
10. Let 'Em In
11. My Love
12. I'm Looking Through You
13. Two Of Us
14. Blackbird
15. Here Today
16. Dance Tonight
17. Mrs. Vanderbilt
18. San Francisco Bay Blues
19. Eleanor Rigby
20. Something
21. Sing the Changes
22. Band on the Run
23. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
24. Back in the U.S.S.R.
25. I've Got a Feeling
26. Paperback Writer
27. A Day in the Life
28. Give Peace a Chance
29. Let It Be
30. Live and Let Die
31. Hey Jude
Encore 1:
32. Day Tripper
33. Lady Madonna
34. Get Back
Encore 2:
35. Yesterday
36. Helter Skelter
37. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
38. The End








No comments:

Post a Comment