Monday, April 12, 2010

About a boy and mom and a baseball game

When Dave called me this morning to ask if I wanted to go to the Giants baseball game tonight, my adventuring spirit was less than thrilled. Especially since he only had two tickets and the whole family wouldn't be able to go. "Choose a kid," he said and assured me with "And I'll watch the other one."

I whined back, "Don't y-o-u want to go?"

"No, I have work to do tonight--you go ahead--it'll be fun--pick someone--pick Liam--I'll watch Kimmie."

"Oh, alright (sigh)."

"Well, don't sound too excited!"

"Oh, sorry, just don't...kinda...want...to...go...I feel weird about going by myself with one child and to a ball game."

"Just stop. Go and have fun!"

So my adventuring spirit told my lazy dragging self to buck up and go have some fun with the boy, just the two of yous! (Oops--Chicago-speak slipped in there).

And so, off we went!  It was a 7:15 pm game and it was a little chilly (not Chicago chilly, of course).  Our little adventure began with stuffing our face with ballpark classic eats like hot dogs, Gilroy's famous garlic fries (oh yum), cotton candy, popcorn, and peanuts. We watched the game some, enough to see the Giants kick some serious butt against the Pirates. We took breaks from the game and walked around, perusing team souvenirs and all the different places to eat and drink (beers are $9 per draft, by-the-YIKES-way). We circled the entire ballpark. Saw where a home-run can meet the sea (there were three die-hard fans in tiny paddle boats waiting for the next homer to plop in the cold waters). Visited the Build-a-Bear workshop where you can outfit your bear or other stuffed animal in complete Giants regalia. Slid down a giant Coca-Cola bottle slide. People watched.

Our adventure peaked at the seventh inning stretch as we shouted "Take me out to the ballgame" at the top of our lungs (or rather, bad shouting/singing by this mom as the boy tried to shush his embarrassing mom). After half an inning more, the boy professed that he was tired so we hopped on a Prius taxi and rode five minutes back to the apartment.

This adventure that began in a whiny way ended in a happy hooray. It was an amazing time to be just one on one and hand in little hand. A treat to go to the boy's first Giants game (actually second game, since his first time was the 2002 World Series at five months in utero). Tonight was all about a boy and mom and a baseball game. The best adventure of all.






No comments:

Post a Comment